As I mentioned before, OpenSUSE 10.3 running well like a charm on my personal computer. It has so many great improvements and I quite satisfied with this release.
But, I have a problem running 10.3 on my computer at work. This computer have 2 sata hard disc (250 GB and 120 GB) and 1 40GB IDE hard disc. 10.3 didn’t detected any sata hard disc but detected 40 GB IDE hard disc. Before trying to install 10.3, I have 10.2 version and it detected sata_sis driver successfully.Â In the first time I think the problem appear because I used 1 compact KDE CD, so I tried to re-install with complete set DVD, but the problem still exist.
I tried some installation option, such as install with broken_module = sata_sis option, deactivate acpi and used safe system but the problem still exist.
I take another computer with sata hard disc and 10.3 installation finished without problem. After reviewing my problem for a while, I summarized that the problem occured with sata_sis driver only. My second computer used another sata driver.
It seems that I’m not the one with this problem. Nathaniel noticed same problem at opensuse list. SUSE Forum have a thread with this problem, here and here. Nathaniel said that she (or he 😀 ) has sent this problem into bugzilla.
This problem give me a reason to replace my old computer at work (Pentium IV 2.8 Ghz with 1 GB RAM) with my new computer (Pentium IV Core Duo 3 Ghz with 1 GB RAM). My previous computer still can be used with 10.3 with IDE harddisc. I moved the sata hard disc into my new computer :-).
I will give an update if this problem has been solved.