Note : This is a copy of mail sent to OpenSUSE.org ;-). Indonesian OpenSUSE Community (OpenSUSE-ID) Annual Meeting will be held on Jakarta, December 08 2007. This is the monthly meeting that become the first annual meeting to prepare the project of OpenSUSE-ID in 2008.
Just let me introduce about the facts of Indonesia and it’s opportunity to increase OpenSUSE massive market and Open Source adoption (some facts cited from Adsense announcement 😉 ) :
- Indonesia is made up of 17,500 islands and is the world’s largest archipelagos state. It has a population of over 200 million, making it the world’s fourth most populous country.
- The largest Buddhist temple in the world, Borobudur, is located in Indonesia and is a ninth century monument.
- Indonesia is the native home of the Komodo dragon, the largest lizard in the world.
- Indonesia has Bali, the beautiful island that become one of the 33 province in Indonesia
Talked about the population, if we assumed that 50% of citizen are under age 15, and OpenSUSE used by 1% of the rest, it’s about 1 million people ! This is a great things to promote OpenSUSE to become primary choice of Open Source solution.
Currently, OpenSUSE-ID is the second largest and active Linux community after Ubuntu-ID.
Back to the annual meeting, the event itself will be offers some discussion about :
- Planning for 2008 : Distributing about 10,000 CDs or DVDs, getting some event and release party
- Building OpenSUSE-ID branch and sub branch in 33 province of Indonesia and in some district or main city
- Legal aspect of OpenSUSE-ID (legal community by Indonesian law, will always seamless with OpenSUSE.org mission and will not broken rule of the game of OpenSUSE.org)
- OpenSUSE Remastered with most common application used in Indonesia
- Knowledge share with subject â€œBuilding Powerful Mail Server with OpenSUSE and Zimbra Collaboration Suiteâ€
- Distributing OpenSUSE 10.2 dan 10.3 DVD repositories (contains oss, non oss, packman and Guru repository)
This event opened for all of OpenSUSE and Open Source enthusiast. Detail of announcement in Bahasa Indonesia already published in "Kopdar #2 OpenSUSE-ID"
See you there…