openSUSE 11.2 has ext4 file system support by default but how if we want to make openSUSE 11.1 or an older version (11.0, 10.3) have an ext4 support? I found this problem : unknown filesystem type ‘ext4‘ while trying to mounting openSUSE 11.2 disk on new installation of openSUSE 11.1.
The solution is fairly simple. Ext4 supported on kernel 2.6.28 or later. openSUSE 11.1 came with 2.6.27 and we must upgrading the kernel and then restarting openSUSE with new kernel.
Upgrading kernel on openSUSE is not too complicated if we do not need any specific requirement. Follow the instruction as below to updating your openSUSE 11.1 or prior version kernel to activating ext4 support:
- Open openSUSE Build Service
- Select the proper openSUSE version
- Type : kernel-default (or any kernel you would like to install) on the search box
- Click on Search button
- Pick the kernel version 2.6.28 or above version and install it with “One Click Install” feature. openSUSE will automatically updating your grub and bootloader
- Restart your openSUSE and login with new kernel (see your grub message to make sure that the selected kernel has installed successfully)
Note : Tested on openSUSE 11.1 64 bit with new kernel version 2.6.32.