I’m thinking about a project for a week end. Updating Zimbra Appliance to the latest version seems to be nice but I need a few feedback about the specification of appliance.
On previous version, I’m using Zimbra 5.0.18 on openSUSE 11.1 JeOS. It has minimum specification but it works pretty well (please let me know if you’ve failed on installing the Appliance). My colleagues in Indonesia sent me some feedback whether it’s possible or no to add the minimal GUI environment to manage the administration and give some testing.
Below are my plans for next appliance :
- Build on openSUSE 11.1 32 bit with KDE3 basis with text editor and browser (FF or Chrome) installed by default. The previous version has no GUI installed and build on JeOS (Just Enough Operating System) basis.
- Zimbra has installed by default with predefined domain, IP and DNS records but also give you a chance to change domain, IP and DNS. The previous version build with predefined install script to install Zimbra
- Bundle with predefine setting on Zimbra anti spam improvement. The previous version didn’t have any anti spam improvement and built with standard setup
- Use Zimbra version 5.0.21. The previous version using version 5.0.18. 5.0.21 is a stable and currently latest version. In other project, I’m also thinking about building Zimbra 6.0.4 64 bit on openSUSE 11.1.
So, which one you agree,
- Minimal JeOS or minimal GUI
- 32 bit or 64 bit
- Pre-installed Zimbra or an install script only
- Predefined anti spam or leave it as is
- Zimbra 5.0.21 or Zimbra 6.0.4
- VMWare VMX format or VirtualBox VDI format (or maybe an ovf format)
Please give the feedback on my comment form. I’ll be starting to update the Zimbra appliance tomorrow and upload the appliance into my host server as soon as possible.