Last week, Indonesian OpenSUSE Community (OpenSUSE-ID) gathering has been established in Grha Pemuda dan Olahraga, Senayan, Jakarta. The event itself took place in a meeting room of Indonesian Ministry Youth and Sports, provided by Edy Purwanto, an openSUSE-ID member that worked as an IT Technical Support in Indonesian Ministry Youth and Sports Department.
This event is regularly monthly meeting but become the first annual meeting to prepare OpenSUSE-ID project in 2008.
Here is some info regarding 2008 planning, and about items discussed at the meeting:
- Distributing about 1,000 CDs or DVDs each month or 12,000 in 2008. The CD and DVD will be provided by openSUSE-ID and openSUSE-ID branch in every province. Each member will be donate to support this project
- Building openSUSE-ID branch and sub branch in the 33 provinces of Indonesia and in some district or main city. The openSUSE-ID branch will act as a gateway between openSUSE-ID in Jakarta (as head office) and to the openSUSE fans around of Indonesia. openSUSE-ID in Jakarta will be distribute the master DVD and CD (Installer DVD, Installer CD, LIveCD, LiveDVD and Repositories DVD) into each openSUSE-ID branch and the openSUSE-ID branch distributing the CD and DVD into end users.
- Building an openSUSE-based distro with the most common applications used in Indonesia. Another option is providing an openSUSE add-on CD with multimedia codecs, Java, Flash and another common application. One of the main problem while promoting openSUSE in Indonesia is about multimedia codecs and non OSS application that are frequently used. With poor internet connection, the best way to solve this problem is to provide a Repository DVD or openSUSE addon CD.
- Hope for 2,500 registered members in 2008 and about 50,000 PCs with openSUSE installed around Indonesia. Initiated in July 23, 2007, openSUSE-ID had about 600 registered users by the end of November 2007.
- Publish a survey about openSUSE and SUSE variants users in Indonesia
The last session was about "Building a Powerful Mail Server with openSUSE and Zimbra Collaboration Suite". Zimbra Collaboration Suite is the well-known mail server in the Linux world with Mozilla Public License for Open Source Edition. Vavai demonstrates how easy to setup the openSUSE 10.2 or openSUSE 10.3 as powerful mail server with ZCS.
Actually, There is a small problem with DNS setting because Vavai forgot how to setup a correct setting for DNS with Webmin, hahaha… Sorry for an inconvenience, folks.